Founded in 1997, BookFinder.com has become a leading book price comparison site:
Find and compare hundreds of millions of new books, used books, rare books and out of print books from over 100,000 booksellers and 60+ websites worldwide.
Living As Equals
ISBN 0198292058 / 9780198292050 / 0-19-829205-8Find This Book
This is a collection of essays by six prominent social scientists on the ideal of economic and social equality and the ways, if any, in which public action can help to achieve it.
* Amartya Sen offers an overview of how equality can be furthered by public action.
* A. B. Atkinson proposes an official poverty line in Britain as a way to focus public debate and political action.
* E. J. Hobsbawm explores the tensions within the rival demands of language, nation, and culture.
* Dorothy Wedderburn argues the case for the superiority of public action in relation to the National Health Service.
* Albert O. Hirschman scrutinizes the rhetorical devices used to counter proposals for reform.
* Ronald Dworkin demonstrates that liberty and equality are not, as some argue, in conflict.