Compare Different Versions and Related Products
Title Chemistry OWL with eBook (6 months) OWL with eBook (24 months) Study Guide Instant Access Code for Zumdahl/Decoste's Introductory Chemistry Instant Access Code for Zumdahl/Decoste's Introductory Chemistry Zumdahl/Zumdahl's Chemistry, 8th Publisher Cengage Learning Cengage Learning Cengage Learning Cengage Learning ISBN 0547125321 Not Applicable Not Applicable 0547168721 Included Product(s) Physical Book eBook, Instant Access Code eBook, Instant Access Code Study Guide
About This Edition
From the Publisher New Features
- New "Problem-Solving Strategy" boxes focus the user's attention on the very important process of problem solving, helping them learn to think like chemists.
- "Chapter 3: Stoichiometry" contains a new section: "Learning to Solve Problems." This new section enables users to understand that thinking their way through a problem produces long-term and meaningful learning, rather than simply memorizing steps which are often quickly forgotten.
- This edition introduces a series of questions into the "Examples" sections of Chapters 3 through 6 to again engage the users in the process of problem solving. This more active approach helps users think their way through the solution to the problem.
- "Chapter 4: Types of Chemical Reactions and Solution Stoichiometry" now gives a more qualitative and intuitive method for balancing oxidation reduction equations that is based on oxidation states. The "half-reaction method for balancing oxidation-reduction reactions" was moved to "Chapter 18: Electrochemistry" in order to cover the more complicated equations later in the text.
- In order to make Chapter 15 more manageable for users, the authors have split this chapter in two: "Chapter 15: Acid-Base Equilibrium" and "Chapter 16: Solubility and Complex Ion Equilibrium."
Explore this title's supplements:
- The program's step-by-step approach helps users master chemistry concepts more efficiently by using examples in the text paired with worked-out solutions. In addition, CHEMISTRY includes Margin Notes that provide problem-solving tips and reminders, Step boxes that highlight the main concepts in a section, and a range of end-of-chapter questions. Question formats consist of Discussion Questions, Exercises, integrative Challenge Problems, and comprehensive Marathon Problems that can be assigned for extra credit.
- Chemistry's unique organization covers equilibria and acid-base chemistry early, and delays coverage of atomic theory and bonding until the second half of the text. The text includes sections on "Exact Treatment of Buffered Solutions" (Chapter 8), "Adiabatic Processes" (Chapter 10), and "Molecular, Rotational, Vibrational, Electronic, and Nuclear Magnetic Spectroscopy" (Chapter 14). These sections provide more depth at a slightly more rigorous level.
- All of the mathematical operations required for this text are conveniently described in an Appendix or are illustrated in worked-out examples. Knowledge of calculus is not required. Differential and integral notations, used only where absolutely necessary, are accompanied by explanations.
- End-of-chapter problems called "Connecting to Biochemistry" highlight organic and biological applications. Their structure allows instructors to quickly locate material that will be of particular interest to users in pre-medicine, biology, and other health-related fields.
Study Guide for Zumdahl and Zumdahl's "Chemistry" (Eighth Edition)
Student Solutions Guide for Zumdahl and Zumdahl's "Chemistry" (Eighth Edition)
Preparing for the AP Chemistry Examination (Keyed to Zumdahl and Zumdahl's Chemistry (Eighth Edition)) Further reference for this edition:
Download the Transition Guide to the eighth edition of Chemistry.