Ningyo: The Art of the Japanese Doll
by Alan Scott Pate, Lynton Gardiner
ISBN 0804836159 (0-8048-3615-9)
Find This Book
Hardcover, Tuttle Publishing
› Find signed collectible books: 'Ningyo: The Art of the Japanese Doll'
Famed the world over for their intricate beauty, Japanese dolls (ningyo) have played an important role in Japanese art and culture. Ningyo: The Art of the Japanese Doll is the first comprehensive book on antique Japanese dolls and figurines published in English. The book focuses on dolls in six categories:
Made during the Edo period (1615-1868) when ningyo culture was at its peak, the dolls illuminated in this book are fascinating for anyone interested in Asian doll art and doll collecting. Features an extensive glossary and bibliography, plus 250 color photographs.
- GOSHO-NINGYO: Palace Dolls and Auspicious Wishes
- HINA-NINGYO: Dolls for the Girl's Day Festival
- MUSHA-NINGYO: Warrior Dolls for the Boy's Day Festival
- ISHO-NINGYO: Fashion Dolls and Popular Culture
- NINGYO IN THE THEATER: Entertaining the Gods and Man
- NINGYO AND HEALTH: Dolls as Talisman and Tool
More editions of Ningyo: The Art of the Japanese Doll: