When The New Encyclopedia of Science appeared in 1995, it answered a pressing need for an easy-to-understand and up-to-date introduction to the world of science. In the years since the first edition, an astonishing number of major scientific breakthroughs have occurred, from the mapping of the human genome to important new work on global warming, string theory, Artificial Intelligence, the use of computers in medicine, the Internet, and much more. Now, in this newly revised and expanded second edition, The New Encyclopedia of Science is more current, more comprehensive, and more essential than ever before.
Updates to the new edition include:
- The addition of plant life to the volume on animal life for full biological coverage
- Changes in DNA sequencing technology and revolutionary molecular dating of the whole history of evolution
- Emerging public health crises such as mad cow disease and anthrax
- A new theory about how oceans affect climate
- The hunt for extra solar planets and new information about supernova
- The discovery of new super heavy elements
- Additions to glossaries and timelines of scientific advances since 1994
-The addition of a 9th volume containing a set index and tabular reference information, plus listings of major scientific institutions worldwide and places of scientific interest to visit
Each lavishly illustrated volume has a well-defined structure to put a wealth of factual knowledge at the reader's fingertips. The Subject Guide is a 10-page introduction high- lighted by a Knowledge Map pictorially locating the subject within the context of the entire world of science. An expansive Time Chart displays key discoveries and dates, and the Key Words section provides an in-depth, cross referenced glossary of important terms and concepts. The Major Topics File is the heart of the book, consisting of about 100 pages of superbly illustrated essays. A beautiful two-page color graphic introduces each chapter, designed to both capture interest and demonstrate an essential point. Lastly, a Fact File at the end of each volume provides a glossary, along with many helpful key-word-related charts, graphs, and tables.