This accurate and up-to-date introductory text on human form and function presents a large, complex body of scientific knowledge in an easily understood, conversational writing style. Focusing on concepts rather than just descriptions to help students unify information, the text uses a "big picture" theme of body function and explains the body's homeostatic regulation. Many practical features and hundreds of full-color illustrations enhance text content, and critical thinking learning opportunities are integrated throughout. New illustrations, revised Career Choices boxes in each unit, and current topics - including anthrax and the human genome project - have been added to this edition.
- Chapter outlines and key terms lists at the beginning of each chapter give students a short overview of content.
- An easily understood, conversational writing style facilitates student learning.
- Consistent use of unifying themes such as the Big Picture and Cycle of Life sections help students comprehend the interrelation of body systems and how the structure and function change in relation to age and development.
- An inviting full-color design includes more than 1300 photos and illustrations to simplify difficult concepts.
- Enhances student learning with dozens of unique full-color micrographs of cellular structure.
- Includes a variety of specialty boxes and tables to explain the practical applications of the principles of A&P.
- Quick Check review questions after major sections of content reinforce learning.
- Case studies challenge students with "real-life" clinical situations.
- The Panorama of Anatomy and Physiology CD-ROM included with the text provides information, interactive exercises, quizzes, and humor as it teaches content.
- Detailed chapter summaries at the end of each chapter outline essential information to help organize study time.
- Content review questions for every chapter help students determine how well they have mastered concepts.
- Color-coded tabs along the side of each page differentiate the 6 units at a glance.
- A mini-atlas of regional dissection of human anatomy can be used as a study guide by students unable to participate in a cadaver dissection laboratory.