A thorough introductory text on human form and function, this text presents a large, complex body of scientific knowledge in an easily understood, conversational writing style. Focusing on concepts rather than descriptions, the text uses a "big picture" theme of body function and also explains the body's homeostatic regulation. For the first time, every new textbook includes a downloadable e-book, which is a fully searchable, electronic version of the text plus learning resources from Anatomy & Physiology Online - with animations by body system, images, an electronic coloring book, interactive exercises, and more.
- A clear, straightforward approach and inviting reading style make it easier to comprehend the difficult subject of anatomy & physiology.
- World-class art program includes more than 1,400 full-color photos and illustrations to enhance and simplify explanations of difficult concepts.
- Big Picture and Cycle of Life sections unify themes and help students comprehend the interrelation of body systems and how the structure and function of these change in relation to age and development.
- Dozens of unique full-color micrographs of cellular structure enhance student learning.
- A variety of specialty boxes and tables explain the practical applications of the principles of A&P, such as the Health Matters box on "anesthetics" which explains how anesthetics produce their effects.
- Current topics (e.g., anthrax, smallpox, human genome project) are addressed in feature boxes.
- Case studies challenge students with "real-life" clinical situations.
- Health Matters and other boxes and tables explain the practical applications of the principles of A&P.
- Chapter Outlines open each chapter, giving students a short overview of subject content.
- Quick Check questions and detailed chapter summaries help students review the material.
- Content review questions help students determine how well they have mastered important concepts.
- Critical thinking questions actively engage students and challenge their reasoning skills.
- Color-coded tabs along the side of each page differentiate the six units at a glance.
- New ClearView of the Human Body illustrated inserts allow students the opportunity to peel back the layers of the body.
- Packaged with every new textbook is a user guide and access code for Anatomy & Physiology Online offering phenomenal resources that bring this subject to life, and includes a wide range of multimedia learning accessories - such as hundreds of state-of-the-art animations and interactive exercises.
- New and updated artwork illustrates the most current scientific knowledge.
- New Language of Science and Language of Medicine boxes bookend each chapter, providing pronunciations, definitions, and word parts for terms highlighted in the text.
- Online tutoring for students is available through the Evolve companion website.
- Completely revised critical thinking and review questions in each chapter actively engage students and challenge their reasoning skills.
- Packaged with every new textbook is an access code for a downloadable e-book - a searchable electronic version of the entire text - that provides students with searching, highlighting, and note-taking capabilities.
- A Quick Guide to the Language of Medicine booklet is included with every new textbook and provides a resource for students to understand terminology learned in class.
- A Brief Atlas of Human Anatomy is shrink-wrapped with every new textbook and includes surface anatomy and histology images for students to use as a study aid.