Learning GNU Emacs
by Debra Cameron , James Elliott, Marc Loy, Eric Raymond, Bill Rosenblatt
ISBN 0596006489 (0-596-00648-9)
Find This Book
Softcover, O'Reilly Media
› Find signed collectible books: 'Learning GNU Emacs, Third Edition'
GNU Emacs is the most popular and widespread of the Emacs family of editors. It is also the most powerful and flexible. (Unlike all other text editors, GNU Emacs is a complete working environment---you can stay within Emacs all day without leaving.) This book tells you how to get started with the GNU Emacs editor. It will also "grow" with you: as you become more proficient, this book will help you learn how to use Emacs more effectively. It will take you from basic Emacs usage (simple text editing) to moderately complicated customization and programming.Topics covered include:
The book is aimed at new Emacs users, whether or not they are programmers. Also useful for readers switching from other Emacs implementations to GNU Emacs. Covers Version 18.57 of the GNU Emacs editor.
- Using Emacs to read and write electronic mail.
- Using Emacs as a "shell environment".
- How to take advantage of "built-in" formatting features.
- Customizing Emacs.
- Whys and hows of writing macros to circumvent repetitious tasks.
- Emacs as a programming environment.
- The basics of Emacs LISP.
- The Emacs interface to the X Window System.
- How to get Emacs.
More editions of Learning GNU Emacs: