The intriguing universe of robots.
Robots have lived in the human imagination for generations. Remember Frankenstein's creature brought to life by an electric charge, the Tin Man who yearned to become human, or the robot-filled world of the popular 1960s animated television series The Jetsons?
Young readers will share this fascination as they embark on a thrilling journey from primitive robots to the revolution that is now underway. Chapters include:
- In Our Own Image: The history of robots, from the first automaton in 1709 to the rise of computers in 20th century
- Where are All the Robots?: Robot predictions from the past vs. modern reality
- Robot Explorers: Searching new frontiers: underwater, outer space
- Fighting Robots: Military assignments too dangerous for humans
- Working Robots: From assembly line operations to intricate surgical procedures
- Robots at Play: Robotic athletes, pets, toys and even actors grabbing the movie spotlight
- The Future: What can we expect?
With a text that will engross readers from the outset, lively sidebars, and intriguing photography, Mighty Robots creates a captivating picture of the robotic world. [via]