This lively, detailed history of the crossword puzzle not only gives us a few clues about how and why these puzzles became so popular, but also introduces us to the people behind the story and the surprising role crosswords have played in our world. From square one to the last word, this marvelous tribute includes:
* Origins of the modern crossword puzzle, with examples of early word games
* Insider tips from competition champs and prominent puzzlemakers
* General solving strategies and secrets
* Crossword controversies, such as "crosswordese"
* Cluing and construction for the Will Wengs of tomorrow-including information on the latest computer software for the puzzle constructor
* All about crossword tournaments and contests
* Valuable reference section-including websites for crosswords and research websites
* PLUS: A special bonus selection of challenging puzzles!
"A book that all crossword fans should read to enhance their solving pleasure." (Stanley Newman, President, American Crossword Federation, and crossword editor, Newsday)