The Art of The Matrix goes beyond the film. But you cannot be told what this book is...you have to see it for yourself! The most unusual one-of-a-kind giftbook of the season, and the first and only book licensed by the creators of this awesome film--this is the complete pre-production archive of artwork and conceptual drawings, along with the script and commentary in the artists' own voices, in a beautifully printed, large format book, four-color throughout--long awaited by Matrix fans worldwide. Grossing more than $400 million worldwide, ranked as one of the all-time top-selling home video releases with over 2,000,000 DVDs sold, and winner of four Academy Awards--Best Visual Effects, Best Film Editing, Best Sound, Best Sound Effects Editing--The Matrix has proven to be nothing short of a phenomenon. The tale of Thomas Anderson (Keanu Reeves), a computer hacker forced to confront his special destiny in the salvation of mankind, challenged our perceptions of reality and expanded our expectations of what a movie could be. Spencer Lamm writes in his introduction: "This book was created to express some sense of the massive planning that went into the film. It showcases the bulk of the artwork, presenting a close approximation of what was shown to the studio...Combining all the art, the Wachowskis were able to walk people through the script [219 scenes] producing, essentially, a 400-page giant comic book. Initially a tool to sell the picture, it became a detailed map for production."
Exclusive to this volume are:
* The complete shooting script by writers/directors Larry & Andy Wachowski
* The complete B&W storyboards (700+) by Steve Skroce (Spider-Man, Wolverine)
* The complete color storyboards by Tani Kunitake (Armageddon, 12 Monkeys)
* The complete and intensely intricate conceptual illustrations by Geof Darrow (Hard Boiled, Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot), presented in four double-sided gatefolds
* Introduction by Zach Staenberg, Oscar-winning Film Editor
* Afterword by William Gibson, author of Neuromancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive, and All Tomorrow's Parties
* 32-page color photo album of memorable stills and posters
* Commentary by all the artists about their work on the film, interviewed especially for this book
* Also: Thumbnail sketches by the Wachowski Brothers, deleted script excerpts, scene notes by Phil Oosterhouse (assistant to the Wachowski Brothers), three cut storyboard sequences, film credits.
* 488 pages (including 4 double-sided gatefolds and 32 page photo section). 8 38" x 10 78". Over 1000 illustrations. Complete storyboards and conceptual drawings, screenplay, more than 30 movie photos, posters, credits. Four-color printing throughout.
"Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself." --Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne), from the shooting script of The Matrix
The Matrix motion picture artwork and photography copyright (c) 2000 Warner Bros. All rights reserved.